Monday, February 23, 2009

Educational Technology saves the day (and money)

I teach AP Physics and needed to set up some labs for heat and thermodynamics. Unfortunately, we have no money left for supplies or equipment, and there is a problem with the gas to my room. Thank goodness for technology. I am lucky enough to have 8 computers in my classroom. I used them today for a heat and thermo lab. The students were sent to software we use here (Cyber-Ed Multimedia Science School) and a website (http://phet.colorado.edu/simulations/index.php?cat=Physics). The web site has some great simulations that include teacher notes and student activities. I feel that these simulations are more interactive than a traditional lab and really show the student the physics behind the topic. The students also seem to like these better than some of the "real" labs they do. Don't get me wrong, I still do traditional labs, but free online labs and simulations are very useful, especially in these tough economic times.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...