Monday, May 16, 2011

Happy EMS Week - thank an EMS provider this week


This week is National EMS Week (May 15th - May 221st). This year's theme from the American College of Emergency Physicians is EMS: Everyday Heroes.


In my other life I am an EMS-Instructor and Paramedic. I have been involved in EMS since 1988 in college. I have not been able to work on the road for the past two years due to a severe back injury, but I still feel a part of EMS as an instructor. I responded to New York City after 9-11 to help out and I spent 15 years serving the city I teach in as a paramedic.

Take this week to thank and EMS provider in your town. The First Responders, EMT's and Paramedics are everyday heroes who are often overlooked by the media and public. Firefighters and Police Officers are usually in the news, but EMS providers, whether volunteer, commercial, hospital based, or municipal, are working everyday, helping people everyday, at the expense of their time, health, and family. EMS providers experience high incidences of knee and back injuries and spend countless hours maintaining their skills. They provide an invaluable, life-saving service, while dealing with drunks, combative patients, rude patients and family, for low pay and minimal respect.

Say "thank you" to one this week to show your appreciation. If you have ever been helped by EMS, share your story in the comments below.

To all my brothers and sisters in EMS - Stay safe out there.


Here is a list of EMS providers who sacrificed their life on 9-11.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...