Panoramio is a service from Google that allows you to share and explore our world through photos. It's free, fun, and educational. There are some really great photos on here. I've discovered some great ones from my own state.
You can explore the photos in a variety of ways:
- Panoramio Groups allows you to create or join a photo community and to explore what others are sharing around a topic of your interest.
- World Map - a map of the world with tiles of photos on it based on where the photos were taken.
- Photos in Google Earth - download a gallery to run in Google Earth
- Cool Places - suggested by users
- Tags - search and explore by tag
These are photos from Southford Falls park in Connecticut. My wife and I took our wedding photos here.
There is also a blog, groups and discussion forums.
This could be used in education as a way to learn more about the world through pictures, share pictures, and discuss pictures.
Panoramio is a great way to find, and share, interesting photos about our world: http://www.panoramio.com/