Self-serve learning platforms Codecademy, Duolingo, Quizlet, Skillshare, and Brainly have teamed up to create the Learn From Home Club - a joint offering of free learning resources for teachers and students impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic (offer details for each company are available at the link provided). The offering was announced this morning in a tweet by Codecademy CEO Zach Sims. The participating education companies have a combined reach of nearly 600 million users.
The Learn From Home Club is a continuation of a previous effort by Codecademy, announced in mid-March, when the company offered to give 10,000 scholarships for Codecademy Pro to students and teachers whose schools have closed. They far surpassed that number, giving away over 100,000 scholarships, and decided to partner with other ed-tech companies to put together a larger offering.
The participating companies are as follows:
- Codecademy is a platform for learning programming, web development, data science and other technical skills online. They have given away over 100,000 free Codecademy Pro scholarships to students so far.
- Skillshare is an online learning community where millions come together to take the next step in their creative journey.
- Quizlet provides free study tools including flashcards, practice questions and games for students and their teachers. Choose from 400 million study sets or create your own.
- Duolingo is the world’s most popular language-learning platform, with the mission of making education free and accessible for everyone.
- Brainly offers a free learning platform, where students and parents get homework and study help from peers and experts. Brainly is democratizing access to education and helps students answer questions. Students from anywhere can ask about their doubts and get a step-by-step explanation from others.
As part of the offering, Codecademy will be hosting Learn From Home Day on April 10 at 10 AM Eastern. The day will be marked with a free educational web conference dedicated to togetherness and self-betterment through learning online. Throughout the day, attendees will join interactive breakout sessions with Codecademy and other participating companies.
Resources, tips and more for remote and e-learning (teaching online)