Google Accessibility, Using Google Products, http://www.google.com/accessibility/products/, contains a wealth of information and resources, along with apps, that can help students, and teachers.
Chrome Toolbox http://www.chrometoolbox.com/ - This collaborative space was created to celebrate the many Apps and Extensions made by developers which serve the accessibility needs of individuals with disabilities.
Some of the main features:
- Chrome Browser - includes screen readers and magnifiers, full page zoom, high contrast color, and more.
- To zoom in on a page on a Chromebook, click CTRL + to zoom out CTRL -
- The newest update to Chrome OS (Nov 2013) now has support for USB-connected Braille displays
- Chrome OS and ChromeVox - Chrome OS (Chromebooks) include a built in screen reader, ChromeVox. It is also an extension for the Chrome Browser. http://www.chromevox.com/
- Google Docs and Sites - screen reader allows ease of use
- YouTube Captions
- Magnifier Extension for Chrome - https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/magnifier-extension/mmknioomkplkkfgaobefmklldbanoaok?hl=en-US
- Voice Comments - allows you to leave voice comments, instead of just text, in Google Drive/Docs https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/voice-comments/hcdoaikeblbbiphjibkhliiedjhnbbke?utm_source=chrome-ntp-icon
- Alternatives to Inspiration: http://educationaltechnologyguy.blogspot.com/2012/04/6-free-mindmapping-appsservices-for.html
Speech to Text and Text to Speech
Read&Write for Google Docs - https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/readwrite-for-google/inoeonmfapjbbkmdafoankkfajkcphgd?hl=en-US
Introduction to Read & Write for Google http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPqbk7TJKLo&feature=youtu.be
Boost reading confidence. Make the web and Google Docs accessible to students with learning difficulties, dyslexia or ELL/ESL.NEW! FREE for TEACHERS! Teachers get a FREE subscription to Read&Write for Google. To register and activate your premium subscription, go to rw.texthelp.com/freeforteachers after installing Read&Write for Google. Read&Write for Google™ offers a range of powerful support tools to help students gain confidence with reading and writing. • Hear words, passages, or whole documents read aloud with easy-to-follow dual color highlighting • See the meaning of words explained with text and picture dictionaries • Hear text translated into other languages • Predicts the next word as you type • Highlight interesting or relevant text and collect it for use in other documents Read&Write for Google™ is a friendly browser add-in for use with PCs, Macs and Chromebooks. It works with web pages and common file types in Google Drive, including: - Google Docs - PDF - ePub - KesSpeech Input, Simplify and Summarize Now Part of Read&Write for Google!
- Speak It - Google Chrome extension that enables you to have the text on most webpages read to you. With Speak It installed just highlight the text on a the page you're viewing then right-click to activate Speak It. Then click the play button to have the text read to you. The voice is very digitized, but it is clear. https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/speakit/pgeolalilifpodheeocdmbhehgnkkbak
- Select and Speak lets you select text from almost any website and make it talk
- Voice Recognition - Type with your voice. Dictation turns your Google Chrome into a speech recognition app
- DictaNote Speech Recognizer https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/dictanote-speech-recogniz/aomjekmpappghadlogpigifkghlmebjk?hl=en
Increased accessibility with Braille display support for Google Docs, Slides and Drawings
If you use a Braille display, you can now enable Braille support in Google Docs, Slides and Drawings to read and enter text. This option is currently available for Google Chrome and Internet Explorer.
5 Good Apps for ESL / ELL Students: http://www.freetech4teachers.com/2014/03/5-good-apps-for-esl-ell-students.html#.Ux75Qj9dWN0
Evernote - another great, free application - also has some accessibility features and extensions for Chrome.
Evernote for Education: http://educationaltechnologyguy.blogspot.com/p/evernote-for-education.html